William Halling, known as Bill, was born in Frampton on 7 January 1880, but it was not until the following January that he was baptised at St Mary's, the eldest son of William Halling and Georgina née Winchcombe. His father was a waterman, the river trade was in his blood. Georgina bore nine children and, somewhat disparagingly, the 1911 census records her as having 'no occupation'! A waterman's household was full of comings and goings, and as the three eldest Halling boys left school, they too took up the trade. Bill married a mariner's daughter, Ada Maria Herbert, and their wedding at St Mary's on 29 April 1902 brought together two families with kindred spirits. Good money could be earned by hard work, and Bill and Ada made their home at Chapel House, with Bill master of his father-in-law's trow, Victory. By 1914 five children had been born : William James, Naomi, Nellie, Tom and Jack.
Bill's service record during the war has not survived. However, his name on the plaque in the village hall acknowledges his wartime contribution alongside that of his younger brother, Thomas George.
After the war the family continued to live in Chapel House. Bill died on 5 December 1964 and was buried in St Mary's churchyard four days later.