Frederick Gilbert Alexander Cook
Frederick Gilbert Alexander Cook, known as Gilbert, was the second son of William and Elizabeth Cook. Born in Saul in 1889, he was baptised on 23 July the following year at St Peter's, Framilode with his first two names reversed. By 1901, the family had moved to Elsie Villa (now Cider Press House), at the top of Frampton's village green. Unlike his father, Gilbert did not find work in the water trade, preferring instead motor cars; by 1911 he was employed as chauffeur to the village's general practitioner, Dr Charles Weller, and living-in with the family at Russell House.
Gilbert's role in the First World War has not been traced, although it is known that he answered Lord Kitchener's call in early September 1914 and joined at Gloucester, his name being recorded in the Gloucester Journal in the same list as Francis William Aldridge and William George Birch. When Gilbert married Elizabeth Barton Palmer on 12 February 1918 at St John the Divine, Fairfield, Liverpool, he was a motor engineer living at Elsie Villa, from where he was listed as an absent Military or Naval voter in 1919. It seems that he may have been working in some motorised transport capacity for the Army in the UK. Gilbert's war service is commemorated on the plaque in Frampton Village Hall alongside that of his two brothers, William Frederick and Archibald Edward.